Accidentes Geográficos

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Thing # 6

It was interesting using the photoset in Flickr to create a mosaic. At the beginning I had difficulty creating it. For some reason it was coming up blank. After a night of sleep, I came back refreshed to realize I had to grant temporary permission to access the photos I had uploaded because I had made it private by invitation. I haven't been able to figure out in Flickr how to move the pictures around so that they show in a different order. In Activboard and Power Point, it is as easy as clicking on the frame and dragging it to the new location. That didn't work in Flickr. The same for the mosaic. How do one tell it which one to put in the large, middle frame?

I can see my students creating a mosaic with pictures related to their topic, say in social studies. If they are doing a presentation on a Texas personality, they can put the narrative in the middle surrounded by pictures that corroborate or enhance the information provided. The same with science. Instead of a narrative, they could have a mosaic of same size pictures that show the steps of an experiment.

I would love to use trading cards to create my rewards for my GLAD sessions. The cut and paste and copy (Xerox) is tedious, time consuming, and the results may not be as professional. The students could also use the application to create study cards for themselves. For example, in math, they' d create a picture and the actual mathematical representation for say, long division. In science, they could find a picture of rocks in a stream and include the definision of erosion. I even think the students would find it useful to create magazine covers for their project folders. My problem here was finding pictures that could not be shared.

At the moment, I can't see any use in my class for posters. But they can be used to post booth names for math and/or science night at school.

I would still like to find out how to reorder my photos in my photostream/photoset and pick the central picture in my mosaic.

1 comment:

ESLFroggie said...

After reading your blog, it dawned on me that it would be a great idea to use trading cards to use to review Texas/American History in a very fun way. I will definitely share with my ESL posse! Great ideas!