Accidentes Geográficos

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thing # 13 - Tagging and Del.icio.us

Successfully setup my del.icio.us account and added my icons on the icon bar. Same name: FrAsianLat. Not much in it yet. I want to take my time so that it does not become just another unused list.

It is simply overwhelming the quantity of printed (books, articles, magazines) and electronic (videos, blogs, you name it) material out there. The professional books and articles being churned out, not to mention personal interest material, is mindboggling. Then there is the fact that there is only so many hours in a day, so many days in a week, weeks in a month, months in a year. I dislike what information overload does. I am trying to cultivate quality over quantity.

I like being able to tag information. I like the fact that I can use del.icio.us from any computer. Thank you Joshua Schachter* for tags. The list in my Favorites is already quite long. I like being able save part of the information in my description box. I still get confused with some of the terminology and get lost once I exit a topic. All these user ids and passwords.... Will have to navigate through and decide what will be of use to me.

Students can look at material by searching the tags and refining the search under del.icio.us. I know that for some it may be a daunting task at the beginning as it may be for me. But with practice, I think we will all benefit from the tool.

*Tagging was invented by programmer Joshua Schachter, who launched a Web site, Del.icio.us, pronounced "delicious," that uses tags to organize content - http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-thu_tagsjun14,0,3843733.story?page=2&coll=chi-business-hed

No comments: