Accidentes Geográficos

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thing # 14 - Technorati and Tags

Tags? I thought I pretty much knew what this was all about after del.icio.us and an exercise in creating own electronic library list. Then comes Technorati.

I did a search on school library learning under blogs. Got 17 blogs. Used their search.technorati.com and came up with 1,777. I am not good at narrowing my search criteria or figuring out what someone would tag something as. I am sure I will get better as I use the product, talk about it, listen to other people's experience. But right now, I am way over my head.

So much technology...so fast...so soon. Need some time. Like oodles of it. In the programming industry where I worked for more than 2 decades before going into teaching, there was a stable environment. There were only a handful of computer languages used, the databases were hierarchical or relational. Online applications were mostly screens populated with data. The important thing was to use the tools in an efficient and effective manner to do business. I saw with graphical user interfaces the mushrooming of languages and applications. These came and went, versions after versions, and continuing today, new applications to do some of the same things, improve some processes, add functionality. Getting stuck is no fun unless you know others using the same tools. There is the old saying, "Use it, or lose it".

No comments: