Accidentes Geográficos

Friday, June 27, 2008

Thing # 15 - 2.0 and the Future of Libraries

Photo source (http://www.flickr.com/photos/stewickie/347385304/)

This talk of the evolution of the library as we know it, reminds me somewhat of a Star Trek episode. All information, or most, is retrieved from the computer. The computer even talks. Artificial intelligence is a done deal. The members of the ship can live an adventure without leaving the spaceship in this special room. Yes, I share the opinion of this section on library 2.0. The way we did business in the past is changing and needs to continue changing, books and libraries included.

Dr. Wendy Schultz article, To a temporary place in time, ( http://www.oclc.org/nextspace/002/6.htm ) was quite a sneak into the future. To this I add some questions. How far will we go? How fast will it be? What will we have to leave behind?

In Rick Anderson's Away from icebergs, ( http://www.oclc.org/nextspace/002/2.htm ) I can't think but that the 55% drop in circulation is because people spend more time on computers (surfing the web, playing video games, etc.) and much less time going outside to visit the library, play sport, walk, engage in face-to-face communication. Recent health news cover children lacking vitamin D (more bone fractures) and increased percentage in diabetes. Yes, there are libraries poorly equipped today, but won't learners that do fall outside the technology learning style, be poorly equipped for what is coming? And then we have the issue of accessibility, and power source, and newer technology.

I believe and agree that what is going on today is an extension of the same key principles that have been in place since the 19th century. Todays technology is making things possible that weren't possible before. It easier, better, more effective to improve and provide the services using state of the art technology and tools. It was is the same with the advent of the radio, the TV, the telegraph, the telephone, to name a few.

I still prefer to curl up with a good book. It is very difficult to do so with even the most streamlined laptop. Posture is important to view the screen. And then there is the issue of going back a few pages. Not as easy to flip back and forth with one computer screen. I get frustrated having to scroll up and down or in and out of articles and even get confused. But being able to browse a list of my books or books I have read...that is great! Being able to not only see the titles but the book cover online, priceless!

Library 2.0 is great. I like all the features it has made possible especially the communication to and from the users. I hope, though, that books will still be around in what is left of my lifetime and more. :)

1 comment:

Gena said...

I can relate...although technology is great...I love face-to-face conversation, curling up with a good book and coffee, browsing through the library, or a friend's home library! And I share your thoughts on the issue of accesibility, power source and new,fast changing technologies. I think of my students and the sharp contrast between available technology at school and what they actually have accessible at home...will school hours be enough to make them tech savvy without the personal, independent hours of exploring with technology during off-school time?