Accidentes Geográficos

Monday, July 14, 2008

Thing # 22 - Ning

Ning offers functionality and experiences that are comfortable with students. But so does MySpace and Facebook. I like how it hooks to other sites. Some of it is confusing to me.

With law enforcement programs where officers are constantly monitoring for children's safety and as a parent, I can see other parents' concerns of what their children are doing when online. I think all this technology is good as an add-on, but if it came down to chosing one or the other, I would have to go for the good old-fashioned book. I can flip back and forth, while it is very difficult to see more than one page (full page) at a time on the computer unless you have one of those fancy very large double screens. But then, techonology is evolving and prices are coming down.


I liked hooking up to sites through Teacher Ning site. I could easily access the alternative certification site, teacher blogs, add my blog if I wanted, and look at teaching tools for lessons and activities. As a teacher and an adult, I know that with the privileges of technology comes risks. We need to use the technology properly. I like the fact that Ning is commited to a best practices approach.

1 comment:

Grendel said...

I will always prefer reading an entire book that I can hold in my hand rather than reading it online because I, too, like to flip back and forth, read in bed, etc. For other things, though, I love being able to look up snippets of information in a hurry! :)